Tuesday 20 December 2011

Bolo

Game: Bolo
Developer: Stuart Cheshire & Various (ports)
Platform: Mac and PC
Release Year: 1987
Stephen's Rating: 6/10


Basic Plot

None that I am aware of.

Gameplay

Bolo is a multiplayer tank combat game which I used to play in the computer labs at my high school. We played it on some old Apple computers with black and green screens.

The game included network LAN multiplayer game support. Each player controlled a tank and could defeat and take over pillboxes which were like automated turrets which could take out opponent players. They could be picked up and moved around to strategic locations.

You looked down on your tank and could move it around, and shoot at enemies. Tanks were tough and could take several hits before being destroyed and were also destroyed by moving in to deep water.

Tanks had two main forms of attack; a cannon which fired directly at enemies, and mines which were dropped on the ground. Mines, while visible to the player who dropped them, were invisible to other players until they moved very close to them. Ammo was scattered around the map.

The objective was to hold all of the "bases" on the map.


Positives

This was an early and really simple way to have mass multiplayer. It was chaotic and fun, I have fond memories.

Negatives

I wish I'd had more time to get to know this game. Because we played it in the few minutes before or after class, I barely got to scratch the surface.

Memorable Moments

I remember getting pwned by pillboxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment