Wednesday 16 November 2011

Assassin's Creed

Game: Assassin's Creed
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal, Gameloft, Griptonite Games
Platform: PC
Release Year: 2007
Stephen's Rating: 4/10


Assassin's Creed is a sci-fi third person assassination/stealth and action game.

Basic Plot

The game revolves around the idea of re-living ancestral memories. You play the role of Desmond Miles, a descendant of a long line of assassins. Using a device called the Animus he is forced to re-live his ancestral memories so that the Abstergo corporation can locate ancient artifacts.

A lot of the game involves playing in an ancestral memory as one of Desmond's ancestors.

Scouting out a city from above.

Gameplay

The game involves Desmond living out actions as his ancestors following certain rules which keep "synchronization".

The game plays out in the third person and involves stealth and parkour. There are both active combat phases as well as stealth and non-combat areas.

Positives

I appreciate that the game tried to do something a bit different. The story and theme were pretty strongly portrayed and it wasn't another mindless first person shooter.

Blending in with the crowd.

Negatives

The game was overtly complicated and difficult to approach. I've played a lot of games all my life, but I still found myself getting confused and frustrated as I tried to get into the game and understand how to play.

There were way to many cutscenes at the start. By the time they were over I was already bored.

Essentially I see this game as Hitman disguised as something new and special, only Hitman delivers a much better gameplay experience and easier to get in to.

Memorable Moments

I'm not saying this game is terrible. I am saying, it was terrible for me. In the hours I spent trying to get in to the game I didn't have any fun, it was more of a chore having to learn a million different huds and key combinations and trying to figure out what the story was trying to do. And I enjoyed Hitman 2 a lot, so it's not just this style of game. I think perhaps they were just trying to be a bit too fancy and it didn't come off.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. See I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it was very ground breaking and extremely captivating. I got lost in the world of it. I felt the vertigo when jumping into hay stacks. Didn't find the controls too hard. I personally found it to be better than Hitman. However by the end of Assassins Creed 2 I was over it. They didn't do anything wrong, it's just that there's only so much of the same formula that one can play before it gets boring (like Call of Duty).

    ReplyDelete