Tuesday 1 November 2011

Mixed-Up Mother Goose

Game: Mixed Up Mother Goose
Developer: Sierra On-Line
Platform: Various
Release Year: 1987
Stephen's Rating: 5/10


Basic Plot

You play a child in a world where all the nursery rhymes are mixed up. Humpty dumpty doesn't have a ladder to climb up the wall, for example. Your goal is to help the nursery rhymes sort themselves out.

Gameplay

The gameplay was very basic and meant to be educational. It involved obtaining an item which each nursery rhyme character was missing.


Positives

I think this was a really great way of getting kids open to the concept of video games, from (in my opinion) quite a harmless place. This game and my desire to be able to play it without competing with my classmates may very well have been one of the major reasons why I wanted to find out more about video games in the first place.

Negatives

This game is specific to a very narrow target audience.

I played this game over 20 years ago, but that boot still looks very familiar...

Memorable Moments

Mother Goose (as I referred to it at the time) was one of the very first video games I ever saw. We had it on an Atari computer at school, which was black and white. I included only black and white screenshots to keep with my childhood memories. Although the game is very simple I found it exceptionally exciting. I think I was probably 7 or 8 years old.

2 comments:

  1. I remember playing it in Mrs Stenhouse's class. Tss

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had this on our IBM compatible commodore.

    It was in monochrome until we upraded to a colour screen.

    I think this was actually the first ever PC game I played

    ReplyDelete